Have you heard of the term “microcheating”? It has recently gained increasing popularity on social media and refers to a pattern of seemingly small behaviors that indicate that your partner may be excessively focused on someone else (emotionally or physically).
If you’ve already encountered this term and are wondering if the specific behaviours listed as microcheating are really a cause for concern, you’ve come to the right place! Have a listen to this episode of the Get Sex Smart podcast, in which Dr. Valeria and I share our opinions on microcheating, its validity, and what it may mean for our intimate relationships. Buckle up because this one is going to be a bit of a rant!
From Episode 79 you will learn:
- what microcheating is
- some of the behaviours that are considered microcheating
- what this list of microcheating behaviours gets right and wrong
- about the (problematic) culture around cheating in the US
- the importance of boundaries and how they fit into this concept
- the problem with a fear-based approach to relationships and how to step away from it
- the heteronormativity implicit in the concept of “microcheating”
- why context is key to determine whether or not a given behaviour is pathological
the importance of personal space and secrets – regardless of our relationship status
- how one can you work through having been cheated on in order to move forward in that relationship or their other future relationships
If you have any burning questions related to dating, sex, and relationships, don’t forget to share them below!
Feeling shy? You can always send the questions in complete confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. I read every email, and your question may be answered in an upcoming post, video, or podcast!
Want to be kept in the loop and learn more awesome dating tips? Subscribe to my newsletter and never miss an episode!